Inseok Hwang (황인석)
- Research Staff Member, IBM Master Inventor, IBM Research - Austin
- Adjunct Professor, School of Computing, KAIST
ihwang at us.ibm.com
My Official Page at IBM Research
I am a daydreamer, engineer, and designer whose heart lies in augmenting human-to-human empathy, driven by novel mobile computing technologies and machine intelligence on physical worlds.
Technically, my current research focus is on building novel models and applied systems delivering cognitive computing experiences through our everyday sensory computing platforms, including today's prevailing mobile platforms as well as upcoming robotic and IoT platforms. (Yes, I do play with robots too. It's pain and fun!) Fundamentally, my research interests roam around the intersection of mobile systems and human-computer interaction.
Before joining IBM Research, I was a Research Assistant Professor at Center for Mobile Software Platform in KAIST, Korea. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from KAIST in 2013 under the advisement of Dr. Junehwa Song, and B.S. / M.S. in Electrical Engineering from KAIST.
|Just a prosperous day at work :-)|
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 12th, 13th, 14th Plateau (2018)
- IEEE INFOCOM 2018 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2018)
- Best Video Award, ACM MobiSys 2017.
- IEEE INFOCOM 2017 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2017)
- IBM Invention Development Team Award (2017)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th Plateau (2017)
- IBM Master Inventor (2016)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th Plateau (2016)
- IEEE INFOCOM 2016 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2016)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 1st, 2nd Plateau (2015)
- IBM Early Tenure Inventor Award (2015)
- Honorable Mention Award, ACM CHI 2014.
- Best Paper Award, ACM CSCW 2014.
- Qualcomm Fellowship Award, 2013.
- Best Demo Award, ACM HotMobile 2013.
- Best Demo Award, ACM MobiSys 2012.
- Best Demo Award, IEEE SECON 2012.
- Honorable Mention, IEEE SECON 2012.
- May 2018: Our paper on a co-present robotic avatar system letting a user live at multiple homes at the same time has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2018. (Thanks to my awesome intern, Bumsoo Kang, for his hard work!)
- Jan. 2018: I am serving on ACM UbiComp 2018 Organizing Committee as a Workshop Co-Chair.
- Aug. 2017: I am serving on ACM HotMobile 2018 Technical Program Committee as a TPC Member.
- June 2017: Our paper "Card-stunt as a Service" has been selected as the Best Video Award winner, as well as the runner-up of the Audience Choice Award at ACM MobiSys 2017!
- June 2017: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2018 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- May 2017: Our paper on a mobile-crowd system to create instant collective visualization on a massively packed crowd has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2017. (Thanks again to my awesome intern, Chunkuk Yoo, for his continuing dedication on this work.)
- Jan. 2017: This year I am serving on an NSF Proposal Review Panel as a panelist.
- Dec. 2016: I am serving on IEEE MDM 2017 Organizing Committee as an Industry Track Co-Chair.
- Nov. 2016: I am serving as an Associate Editor of PACM on IMWUT (Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies)
- Oct. 2016: I have been recognized as an IBM Master Inventor.
- Oct. 2016: I am serving on AAAI ICWSM 2017 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Sep. 2016: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2017 Organizing Committee as a Posters/Demos/Videos Co-Chair.
- Jul. 2016: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2017 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2016: Our paper on ubiquitous near-3D surface interactivity enabled by a single smartphone has been accepted to ACM CHI 2016. (Thanks to my awesome intern, Chungkuk Yoo, for his hard work!)
- Sep. 2015: Our paper on pre-installation prediction of the battery impact of mobile continuous sensing apps has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2015.
- Aug. 2015: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2016 Organizing Committee as a Web Co-Chair, as well as on its External Review Committee as a reviewer.
- July 2015: Our paper on helping users learn the smartphone battery impact from their walking/moving behaviors has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2015.
- June 2015: I am serving on ACM SenSys 2015 Organizing Committee as a Poster/Demo Co-Chair.
- May. 2015: I am co-chairing ACM MCSS 2015 with Youngki Lee (held in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2015). Please consider submitting your early works!
- Apr. 2015: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2016 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2015: Our paper on inferring people's relational orientation from Facebook activities has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2015.
- Oct. 2014: I am serving as an Associate Chair of ACM CHI 2015, in the subcommittee for Specific Application Areas.
- Sep. 2014: Our paper on smartphone-based underwater multi-swimmer exergame has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2014.
- July 2014: I joined IBM Research Austin as a Research Staff Member.
- May 2014: Our paper on smartwatch-based interpersonal touch interaction has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2014.
- Apr. 2014: We've won the Honorable Mention Award at ACM CHI 2014!
- Feb. 2014: We've won the Best Paper Award at ACM CSCW 2014!
- Feb. 2014: I've found that I am one of the three reviewers (out of 500+) who did most reviews in ACM CSCW 2014 :-)
- Jan. 2014: Our paper on human factors of exergame controllers has been accepted to ACM CHI 2014.
- Jan. 2014: I am serving on the program committees of ACM UbiComp 2014 and AAAI ICWSM 2014.
- Aug. 2013: Our paper on a mobile pervasive care for language delay has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2014.
- May. 2013: I am serving on the program committee of of ACM MCSS 2013 collocated with ACM UbiComp 2013.
- Mar. 2013: Our paper on a mobile face-to-face interaction platform has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2013.
- Feb. 2013: We've won the Best Demonstration Award at ACM HotMobile 2013!