Inseok Hwang (황인석)
Research Staff Member, IBM Research - Austin
IBM Master Inventor
ihwang at us.ibm.com
Google Scholar Profile
My Profile at IBM Research
I am currently a Research Staff Member at IBM Research Austin. My current research focus is on novel models and applications delivering cognitive computing experiences through our everyday sensory computing platforms, including today's prevailing mobile devices and upcoming robotic platforms in near future. Broadly, my research interests lie in the intersection of mobile computing, human-computer interaction, sensing and intelligence.
Before joining IBM, I was a Research Assistant Professor at Center for Mobile Software Platform in KAIST, Korea. I received my Ph. D. in Computer Science from KAIST in 2013 under the advisement of Prof. Junehwa Song, and B.S. / M.S. in Electrical Engineering from KAIST.
I have been exploring diverse issues around socio-physical computing - creating new mobile/ubiquitous computing systems for socially-aware interdisciplinary services based on inter-personal sensory technologies.
- Oct. 2016: I am serving on AAAI ICWSM 2017 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Sep. 2016: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2017 Organizing Committee as a Posters/Demos/Videos Co-Chair.
- Jul. 2016: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2017 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2016: Our paper on ubiquitous near-3D surface interactivity enabled by a single smartphone has been accepted to ACM CHI 2016. (Thanks to our awesome intern, Chungkuk Yoo, for his hard work!)
- Sep. 2015: Our paper on pre-installation prediction of the battery impact of mobile continuous sensing apps has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2015.
- Aug. 2015: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2016 Organizing Committee as a Web Co-Chair, as well as on its External Review Committee as a reviewer.
- July 2015: Our paper on helping users learn the smartphone battery impact from their walking/moving behaviors has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2015.
- June 2015: I am serving on ACM SenSys 2015 Organizing Committee as a Poster/Demo Co-Chair.
- May. 2015: I am co-chairing ACM MCSS 2015 with Youngki Lee (held in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2015). Please consider submitting your early works!
- Apr. 2015: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2016 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2015: Our paper on inferring people's relational orientation from Facebook activities has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2015.
- Oct. 2014: I am serving as an Associate Chair of ACM CHI 2015, in the subcommittee for Specific Application Areas.
- Sep. 2014: Our paper on smartphone-based underwater multi-swimmer exergame has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2014.
- July 2014: I joined IBM Research Austin as a Research Staff Member.