Inseok HwangResearch Staff Member, IBM Research - Austin
ihwang at us.ibm.com
Google Scholar Profile
My Profile at IBM Research
I am currently a Research Staff Member at IBM Research Austin. My current research interest lies in novel cognitive systems and applications on our everyday platforms -- mobile, wearable, cloud, etc.
Before joining IBM, I was a Research Assistant Professor at Center for Mobile Software Platform in KAIST, Korea. I received my Ph. D. in Computer Science from KAIST in 2013 under the advisement of Prof. Junehwa Song, and B.S. / M.S. in Electrical Engineering from KAIST.
I have been exploring diverse issues around socio-physical computing - creating new mobile/ubiquitous computing systems for socially-aware interdisciplinary services based on inter-personal sensory technologies.
- Jan. 2016: Our paper on ubiquitous near-3D surface interactivity enabled by a single smartphone has been accepted to ACM CHI 2016. (Thanks to our awesome intern, Chungkuk Yoo, for his hard work!)
- Sep. 2015: Our paper on pre-installation prediction of the battery impact of mobile continuous sensing apps has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2015.
- Aug. 2015: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2016 Organizing Committee as a Web Co-Chair, as well as on its External Review Committee as a reviewer.
- July 2015: Our paper on helping users learn the smartphone battery impact from their walking/moving behaviors has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2015.
- June 2015: I am serving on ACM SenSys 2015 Organizing Committee as a Poster/Demo Co-Chair.
- May. 2015: I am co-chairing ACM MCSS 2015 with Youngki Lee (held in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2015). Please consider submitting your early works!
- Apr. 2015: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2016 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2015: Our paper on inferring people's relational orientation from Facebook activities has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2015.
- Oct. 2014: I am serving as an Associate Chair of ACM CHI 2015, in the subcommittee for Specific Application Areas.
- Sep. 2014: Our paper on smartphone-based underwater multi-swimmer exergame has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2014.
- July 2014: I joined IBM Research Austin as a Research Staff Member.
- May 2014: Our paper on smartwatch-based interpersonal touch interaction has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2014.
- Apr. 2014: We've won the Honorable Mention Award at ACM CHI 2014!
- Feb. 2014: We've won the Best Paper Award at ACM CSCW 2014!
- Feb. 2014: I've found that I am one of the three reviewers (out of 500+) who did most reviews in ACM CSCW 2014 :-)