Inseok Hwang (황인석)
- Research Staff Member, IBM Master Inventor
IBM Research - Austin
- Adjunct Professor, School of Computing, KAIST
(work) ihwang at us.ibm.com
(personal) firstname dot lastname at gmail.com
My Official Page at IBM Research
I am a daydreamer, engineer, and designer who dreams of the unreal and struggles to make it real a bit at a time, driven by novel mobile, intelligent, and interactive technologies embodied in the physical world.
The key driving forces of my research are next-generation intelligent mobile computing systems, novel socio-physical interaction, and multi-domain integration towards ubiquitously available services in the real world. In particular, a major theme throughout my research is to define and premiere innovative software systems that empower our everyday life with new socio-cognitive abilities beyond our natural-born limits. In pursuit of such a vision, my research deeply concerns the technical problems and design issues in dealing with resource-constrained computing platforms, optimizing the sensory and AI subsystems, and orchestrating computational elements and human factors to build an end-to-end system. My research has generated a number of experimental systems built with mobile, IoT, cloud, robotics platforms, as well as inspirations from unprecedented real-life applications in various domains, including health and well-being, family support, childcare, social activism and media, cyber-physical instrumentation, and so on.
To date, I have been serving on the program committees and/or editorial board of a number of premier academic venues leading my areas of research, including ACM MobiSys, ACM UbiComp/IMWUT, ACM CHI, IEEE INFOCOM, and so on. I served on the NSF panel as a panelist to review grant proposals. I am a recipient of the Best Paper Awards in ACM CSCW 2014. My research has generated 30+ papers at premier venues and 40+ issued U.S. patents so far.
I joined IBM Research in 2014 as a Research Staff Member (full-time). Before joining IBM, I was a Research Assistant Professor at Center for Mobile Software Platform in KAIST, Korea. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from KAIST in 2013 under the advisement of Dr. Junehwa Song, and B.S. / M.S. in Electrical Engineering from KAIST.
|Just a prosperous day at work :-)|
- IEEE INFOCOM 2019 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2019)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th Plateau (2019)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 12th, 13th, 14th Plateau (2018)
- IEEE INFOCOM 2018 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2018)
- Best Video Award, ACM MobiSys 2017.
- IEEE INFOCOM 2017 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2017)
- IBM Invention Development Team Award (2017)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th Plateau (2017)
- IBM Master Inventor (2016)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th Plateau (2016)
- IEEE INFOCOM 2016 Distinguished TPC Member Award (2016)
- IBM Invention Achievement Awards - 1st, 2nd Plateau (2015)
- IBM Early Tenure Inventor Award (2015)
- Honorable Mention Award, ACM CHI 2014.
- Best Paper Award, ACM CSCW 2014.
- Qualcomm Fellowship Award, 2013.
- Best Demo Award, ACM HotMobile 2013.
- Best Demo Award, ACM MobiSys 2012.
- Best Demo Award, IEEE SECON 2012.
- Honorable Mention, IEEE SECON 2012.
- Apr. 2019: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2020 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Dec. 2018: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2019 Organizing Committee as a Posters Co-Chair.
- Oct. 2018: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2019 Technical Program Committee as a TPC Member.
- June 2018: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2019 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- May 2018: Our paper on a co-present robotic avatar system letting a user live at multiple homes at the same time has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2018. (Thanks to my awesome intern, Bumsoo Kang, for his hard work!)
- Jan. 2018: I am serving on ACM UbiComp 2018 Organizing Committee as a Workshop Co-Chair.
- Aug. 2017: I am serving on ACM HotMobile 2018 Technical Program Committee as a TPC Member.
- June 2017: Our paper "Card-stunt as a Service" has been selected as the Best Video Award winner, as well as the runner-up of the Audience Choice Award at ACM MobiSys 2017!
- June 2017: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2018 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- May 2017: Our paper on a mobile-crowd system to create instant collective visualization on a massively packed crowd has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2017. (Thanks again to my awesome intern, Chunkuk Yoo, for his continuing dedication on this work.)
- Jan. 2017: This year I am serving on an NSF Proposal Review Panel as a panelist.
- Dec. 2016: I am serving on IEEE MDM 2017 Organizing Committee as an Industry Track Co-Chair.
- Nov. 2016: I am serving as an Associate Editor of PACM on IMWUT (Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies)
- Oct. 2016: I have been recognized as an IBM Master Inventor.
- Oct. 2016: I am serving on AAAI ICWSM 2017 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Sep. 2016: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2017 Organizing Committee as a Posters/Demos/Videos Co-Chair.
- Jul. 2016: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2017 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2016: Our paper on ubiquitous near-3D surface interactivity enabled by a single smartphone has been accepted to ACM CHI 2016. (Thanks to my awesome intern, Chungkuk Yoo, for his hard work!)
- Sep. 2015: Our paper on pre-installation prediction of the battery impact of mobile continuous sensing apps has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2015.
- Aug. 2015: I am serving on ACM MobiSys 2016 Organizing Committee as a Web Co-Chair, as well as on its External Review Committee as a reviewer.
- July 2015: Our paper on helping users learn the smartphone battery impact from their walking/moving behaviors has been accepted to ACM UbiComp 2015.
- June 2015: I am serving on ACM SenSys 2015 Organizing Committee as a Poster/Demo Co-Chair.
- May. 2015: I am co-chairing ACM MCSS 2015 with Youngki Lee (held in conjunction with ACM UbiComp 2015). Please consider submitting your early works!
- Apr. 2015: I am serving on IEEE Infocom 2016 Technical Program Committee as a TPC member.
- Jan. 2015: Our paper on inferring people's relational orientation from Facebook activities has been accepted to ACM CSCW 2015.
- Oct. 2014: I am serving as an Associate Chair of ACM CHI 2015, in the subcommittee for Specific Application Areas.
- Sep. 2014: Our paper on smartphone-based underwater multi-swimmer exergame has been accepted to ACM SenSys 2014.
- July 2014: I joined IBM Research Austin as a Research Staff Member.